As one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in New Orleans, St. John has been preaching the Gospel and educating children since the mid 1850's and we plan to continue to be part of the fabric of New Orleans going forward. We have been located in three different addresses, but have been at 3937 Canal Street since 1927. Our beautiful sanctuary continues to serve us well and our campus is now half of a square block and contains a school building, a gymnasium/Fellowship Center as well as an office building.
But of course, the heart of any church is its people. Baptisms, Confirmations, Weddings, Funerals, and Christmas Programs all hold memories and emotions because of the people who experienced grace through them. That is our faith story and it is still unfolding.
Return to these pages often as we plan to build a wonderful web-resource for telling that story from our early days of welcoming new German immigrants to America downtown to our present story of providing safe, Christ-centered, education to children from around the city.
About the Centennial Document
The brief history of St. John’s congregation is a condensed history written by teacher J. H. Schoenhardt and published on the occasion of the 75th anniversary celebration in 1927. In that souvenir booklet, teacher Schoenhardt states that he received valuable assistance from a prior history compiled by Mr. Henry C. Lind, which covered the years of 1852 to 1882. Information covering the period from 1927 to 1952 is gleaned almost entirely from the minutes of the meetings of the voting members.